Collective consciousness is defined by Wikipedia, as referring to a set of beliefs or moral attitudes which acts as a unifying force in society. When I first started thinking about what collective consciousness is and if it exists, I thought that it was a stupid idea. But as I researched the topic and looked at how people interact on the Internet with each other I changed my point of view. Yes, the Internet is full of contradictory opinions and different points of view but I think we all share some sort of common values. Technology also plays a huge part in how people think and interact with each other. People are be coming more technologically savvy and because of this different cultures are having better opportunities to interact. People are learning to use the same kinds of technologies and are interacting using said technologies. Because people are interacting this way they are sharing ideas and the public opinion is changing. People are beginning to think more alike. When people are on social networking cites like Facebook, MySpace or Twitter they are there for the same reason, to socialize with other people and stay updated on events.
People are very attached to their technological devices. Who doesn't walk around with their phone constantly charged and ready for that oh so important phone call? Who doesn't check their e-mail several times a day or update their Facebook? Are people beginning to feel like that they can't go without getting online to chat? I has become more covenant for us to just Facebook our friends rather than going to see them in person or even calling them. The Internet really effects the way people socialize or interact with each other. We have become a little impersonal with our friends, however we have gained the the ability to contact people around the globe. It makes it easier to contact someone because they can be contacted in all these different ways. You can call someone, text them, im them, Facebook them or MySpace them and you can talk to them in person. The Internet has a serious impact on our daily lives and has a certain element of control over us because of our new found addiction. When you look at iGoogle or Yahoo what is all over the page? Music, News, Entertainment, E-mail, Horoscopes, Events, New York Times headlines and the Youtube video of the day. People constantly rely on information that they are told on the Internet. When people are given the same information all over the globe from the same point of view, people tend to form the same opinions about the subject matter. There is such a thing as collective consciousness and whether it is good or bad is really left up to you but as far as I am concerned it is a good thing.
Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_consciousness
http://www.californiapsychics.com/articles/Features/2999/Collective_Consciousness.aspx
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/faculty/mitchell/glossary2004/collectiveconsciousness.htm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
As you said, “the Internet is full of contradictory opinions and different points of view but I think we all share some sort of common values” I would have to agree. For example, if we notice a crime being commented on-line, I think most people would report that activity. Another point of your blog that caught my attention was “We have become a little impersonal with our friends; however we have gained the ability to contact people around the globe.” This statement raises a flag for me. Why are we limiting and/or neglecting our friends that are physically around us? Is the friend in China more important than the one here in Boone? It makes more sense to me to spend more time/real time with the friend who is really there with you.
ReplyDeleteyeah, isn't it cool also that you can meet someone in another part of the world then go see them face-to-face? That wasn't an easy thing to do back in the day.
ReplyDelete